ntp problems (strata too high)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Dec 17 06:43:04 PST 2005

Christopher McGee wrote:
[ ... ]
> I hate to reopen a dead thread, however, I'm having a very strange
> problem I have 2 machines running ntpd.  I just set this up and it is
> not working.
[ ... ]
> 192.168.1.3    .STEP.          16 u    1  128    0    0.000    0.000
> 192.168.1.2    .DROP.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000

When a machine is badly out of sync, it indicates this by setting it's stratum
to an unbelievable level, so other NTP servers avoid depending on it until some
time has passed and the server's time remains stable for a reasonable time period.

This appears to be what is happening with the .DROP. and .STEP. refid's you've
shown.  Be patient, NTPD ought to sync up given a few hours...

--
-Chuck