argh with freebsd's networking!

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Thu Dec 15 22:56:21 PST 2005

I've been a big fan of FreeBSD for a few years now, expect for the fact that
getting a NIC is always a gamble. Since time is limtied (and most costly) I
can't afford to spend another minute trying to get my new laptop up and
running with FreeBSD.

I've recently purchased a laptop (sager 3880 -- very nice so far) and have
had no success getting either the rj-45 network interface ot the wireless
interface (Intel 2915abg) to work. When I run the install, it does detect a
ethernet-firewire device (fwe0) and I have no idea how to use that.
Regardless, I've found a couple of references to the to the network drivers
found at

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/iwi-freebsd.html

the instructions seem to be clear enough but the problem is is that I don't
have any network connection so I can't install ports and packages. I can't
find instructions clear enough to be able to at least get one of the network
devices running Are not sure which set of instructions are the appropriate
ones.  I've got an old PC card wireless network card (netgear ma401 --
16-bit)  and tried to hook that up to my network which has wep security and
had difficulty getting that to work. I'm experienced enough to be able to
recompile the kernel so if that's the hang up that's no problem but I simply
need a way to get either support or the package onto the machine.
Unfortunately the machine doesn't have a floppy drive and the USB support
seems to be shaky at best so I've created a dual boot machine with the fat32
file system to it least get files into FreeBSD. I've wasted at least a day
and a half on this and I can't spend anymore time on this and I'm getting
really bummed since I won't be able to run FreeBSD on the new machine. If
anyone has any meaningful assistance in getting the wireless or the wired
ethernet working please assist.

I'm using FreeBSD 6.0 i386. I downloaded the ISO images last week.  I would
love to recompile the kernel so that neither works.

Thanks,
Jeff.