pine

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Dec 15 03:49:27 PST 2005

On 2005-12-15 17:44, caleb <destroyingculture at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am thinkng of switching ISP's, registering a domain and setting up
> my own mail server.
[...]
> The ISP I am using (according to thier 'technical support') does not
> use any encryption with the POP server and I am able to telnet into
> the SMTP server on port 25 and have my way with it.
[...]
> I also plan to try thunderbird (*sigh* I have to use X), to see if
> there is any difference between it's connection and pine's

FWIW, the easiest way, by far, to configure outgoing email access once
and for all, for any possible mailer or other program that runs on your
machine is to configure Sendmail or install another equally powerful
MTA, like Postfix.

If you have a static IP address of your own, and a registered domain
name (which seems to be the plan, as far as I can tell), this is
immensely useful & easy to set up.  Then you don't have to worry about
picking out the "right" application (Pine or Mutt or Mozilla or
Thunderbird or whatever) to match the settings of your ISP, because
those are abstracted away by your local mail server.

- Giorgos