Getting the network traffic amount since the interface went up

Parv parv at pair.com
Tue Dec 13 23:22:31 PST 2005

in message <439FB80C.4050905 at mac.com>,
wrote Chuck Swiger thusly...

> Parv wrote:
> > Is there a way to find out the amount of traffic (in & out)
> > since a network interface has been up (not since the OS has been
> > up)?
>
> There are lots of solutions to this problem, it kinda depends on
> what you're trying to do.

Well, actually i want to know the limit(s) (related to amount of
data and number of connections) at which SMC Barricade 7004ABR
router allows only the already established connections and refuses
to allow any new ones.  This is all related to download a large
torrent via rtorrent.  Rebooting the router solves the problem until
i decide to restart the download.

> You might set up an IPFW rule which matches just the traffic you
> care about, and look at "ipfw -a l".  You can zero the counters at
> will if you like, too.  From the ipfw manpage:
>
>      Per-flow queueing can be useful for a variety of purposes.  A
>      very simple one is counting traffic:

Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I mainly use ipf & have
not paid much of a look to ipfw.

  - Parv