Multiple CPUs

Bob Lee bob at bobleeit.net
Tue Dec 13 19:50:46 PST 2005

Quoting Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net>:
> Here's my top procs:
>
> last pid:  2079;  load averages:  8.31,  8.91,  8.43        up 0
> +00:35:15  20:57:53
> 149 processes: 13 running, 136 sleeping

Robert,
FWIW, I did some research a short time ago on utilization and other
aspects of watching performance and I found that 'load' provided
better insight FOR ME into what the system is doing. I wasn't able to
find much on load, but if I understand it correctly, part of what it
shows is the queue on the processor(s). 8 seems high, even by today's
standards and real high by the standards of yesteryear when the load
function was originally created. You may want to spend some time
researching load and see what you come up with.

Bob Lee
--
          Robert Lee  PGP: D3EE2268 pgp.mit.edu
              I prefer email in plain text