Freebsd 5.4+samba

Monah Baki mbaki at whywire.com
Sun Dec 11 08:05:43 PST 2005

Hi all,

I just installed Freebsd 5.4 with samba 3.x, I'm running a calyx
software, and the 6 clients are winxp.
The smb.conf is as simple as possible. I noticed that some clients
are very slow to connect to the share drive and run a database search.
The server is a dell 8400 optiplex, no scsi HDD (sata I think), 3Ghz
and 512MB Ram.
I was wandering if there's a way to optimize samba, or freebsd. Right
now performance wise is worse then when they connect to the same
database on a win2003 server and I need to get the win2003 server out
of the picture.

Thank you