changing shell

FreeBsdBeni freebsdbeni at spymac.com
Sun Dec 11 03:08:14 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get my shell changed from the default csh to bash. I followed
the instruction in the handbook, "chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash beni" and got
the reply that the user information was updated :

root at PCBSD:/home/beni> chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash beni
chsh: user information updated
root at PCBSD:/home/beni>

Did the same for root. Looked with vipw and my shell was changed to bash.
My /etc/shells was also modified :

beni at PCBSD:~> cat /etc/shells
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/shells,v 1.5 2000/04/27 21:58:46 ache Exp $
#
# List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
# Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
# one of these shells.

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh
/usr/local/bin/bash
beni at PCBSD:~>

But when logging out and back in again, the shell didn't change to bash. It's
still csh... I just get the "%"-sign and have to type "bash" to get the
bash-shell in a console.

And the weird thing is with path :

%echo $path
/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/X11R6/bin /home/beni/bin
%

beni at PCBSD:~> echo $path

beni at PCBSD:~>

Any hints on the why of this ?