Freebsd Theme Song

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Dec 10 12:16:03 PST 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 06:00:42PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:
> Danial Thom wrote:
> > --- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> >>So far I'm finding 6.x a heck of a lot better
> >>than 5.x. The mousewheel
> >>just works, a lot more of the ports just work,
> >>sound works ... you still
> >> have to fiddle with /boot/loader.conf to get
> >>the sound to go, which is
> >>completely braindead, but I'm sure it'll be up
> >>to the standard of Linux
> >>distros 2001.
>
> > I was referring to 4.x vs 5.x+ of course
>

> Ah, of course! I agree.

The thing you have to remember about Denial is that the ONLY THING he
cares about in an OS is how fast it can route network packets.  The
major improvements in other areas of FreeBSD are of absolutely no
interest to him, therefore the whole thing is a waste of time.

But anyway, FreeBSD 6.0 is hugely superior to 5.4 and 4.11 in
filesystem performance.  I have been measuring this carefully for the
past couple of months and hope to have the paper out soon.

Kris