smartfilter, linux and you

Jay Desjardins jay.p.desjardins at enc.edu
Thu Dec 8 11:36:34 PST 2005

    We are attempting to get Smartfilter (content filter that plugs into
squid)  to work on FreeBSD 6.0. A while ago, Smartfilter use to come as
a port for FreeBSD, but after a while they no longer support BSD, only
Linux and Solaris. I decided that now it's time to upgrade to a new
version (of Smartfilter and the OS) yet again, I would like to replace
the Red Had ES 3 server with a BSD box, not a newer RedHat box.
Smartfilter's content plugin is designed for RHES 4, and I am trying to
get it to work on 6.0 so I have run into a few problems, most which have
been overcome, but this one persists.
    My problem that I am running into now is different then my other
compiling/library problems. I did a pre-compile on the RHES 4 server,
and now I am trying to compile squid on the FreeBSD 6.0 box. I can't
seem to find out what library is missing here. I have done google, did a
make all -dA and that's all I got down below. The other errors I could
tell what was missing, this one has me scratching my head. I have tried
to bypass that file to see what happens, and when I go to install it
gives me the same missing library "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find" -lbsd on a
different file. I thought that was interesting to say the least, so I
know it's used in more then one spot. I have gone to the BSD handbook
also and went thru the Linux compatibility section to make sure I wasn't
missing anything. This is a copy of the error message below. What
direction do you think it would be worthwhile for me to chase? Do you
have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time
Jay Desjardins

ranlib libmiscutil.a
source='ntlmauth.c' object='ntlmauth.o' libtool=no
depfile='.deps/ntlmauth.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/ntlmauth.TPo'
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../cfgaux/depcomp  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
-I../include -I../include -I../include     -g -O2 -Wall -DSMARTFILTER
-DUNIX -D_REENTRANT -c `test -f ntlmauth.c || echo './'`ntlmauth.c
rm -f libntlmauth.a
/usr/bin/ar cru libntlmauth.a ntlmauth.o inet_ntoa.o
ranlib libntlmauth.a
Making all in scripts
Making all in src
source='cf_gen.c' object='cf_gen.o' libtool=no
depfile='.deps/cf_gen.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/cf_gen.TPo'  depmode=gcc3
/bin/sh ../cfgaux/depcomp  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DDEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE=\"/usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf\" -I. -I.
-I../include -I. -I. -I../include -I../include     -g -O2 -Wall
-DSMARTFILTER -DUNIX -D_REENTRANT -c `test -f cf_gen.c || echo
'./'`cf_gen.c
gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -DSMARTFILTER -DUNIX -D_REENTRANT  -g -o cf_gen
cf_gen.o -L../lib -lmiscutil -lm -lbsd -lnsl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbsd
*** Error code 1

Stop in /downloads/stuff/squid-2.5.STABLE10/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /downloads/stuff/squid-2.5.STABLE10.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Jay Desjardins
Network Developer
Eastern Nazarene College
23 East Elm Ave