Wireless networking in ad-hoc mode?

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Wed Dec 7 13:52:53 PST 2005

> I used some ascii2hex converter that I found online to turn the wep key "1n4te"
> into "316E3474410D0B".

>From ifconfig(8) manual page (my emphasis):

     wepkey key|index:key
             Set the selected WEP key.  If an index is not given, key 1 is
             set.  A WEP key will be either 5 or 13 characters (40 or 104
             bits) depending of the local network and the capabilities of the
             adaptor.  It may be specified either as a plain string or as a
             string of hexadecimal digits preceded by `0x'.  For maximum
             portability, hex keys are recommended; the mapping of text keys
             to WEP encryption is usually driver-specific.  ** In
particular, the
             Windows drivers do this mapping differently to FreeBSD. **