gnome2

Louis J. LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Wed Dec 7 08:18:04 PST 2005

<quote who="Paul Schmehl">
> --On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 16:28:59 +0200 spen <espanop at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I have installed freebsd 6.0 STABLE in an ACER laptop recently. I would
>> like to have gui, so I tried to install from the ports gnome2.
>> I have *updated *my ports.
>> I tried to run dm, gdm but none worked.
>> When I run startx, x windows start but not gnome2.
>> I have added to ~/.xsession the line /exec gnome-session /but still
>> nothing
>> happens.
>> I haven't found around the mailing lists a problem like that.
>> Does anybody have any idea about it?
>> Am I doing anything wrong?
>
> Edit /etc/ttys like this:
> ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/sbin/gdm -nodaemon" xterm   on  secure
>
> And gnome will start when you boot.

Actually, don't the docs suggest turning OFF ttyv8?  IIRC, the more recent
approach is to put "gdm_enable=YES" (or something similar) in /etc/rc.d.
Check the pkg_message file in the port directory to be sure.

I did try this recently (sometime in the last few weeks) but didn't have
the time to devote to getting gdm/gnome2 to work right myself.  I found
kdm much easier to get right - though I can't quite get gnome working
through it.  Still, you can run enlightenment from kdm, as well as Fvwm2,
KDE, etc.  If I were more interested in the session management, rather
than plain flexible window management, I'd probably try harder ...

HTH
Lou

Louis LeBlanc                 FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :þ
http://www.keyslapper.net                       Ô¿Ô¬