ee(1): why Backspace doesn't work as expected if $TERM=xterm?

James Bailie jimmy at jamesbailie.com
Wed Dec 7 07:12:53 PST 2005

Constantine A. Murenin wrote:

 > They map it perfectly fine as 127, it's only FreeBSD's ee(1) that has
 > this problem, tcsh and others work fine.

ee does not do this on the console on my 5.4 machine, nor does it
do this in an XTerm over an ssh connection to my 4.11 machine,
therefore I would suspect the problem must be with the terminal
emulator key mappings or pseudo-terminal settings.  In fact,
since changing the value of TERM fixed things, it PROVES the
problem is with one of these.

If you go to the PuTTY website you will find a simple answer to
your question in the online documentation.  In the data panel of
the configuration settings, you may change the
terminal-type-string to vt200, to cause PuTTY to set TERM
correctly for you.

--
James Bailie <jimmy at jamesbailie.com>
http://www.jamesbailie.com