Cannot boot with newly compiled kernel, or kernel.old after upgrading to RELENG_6

Torgeir Hoffmann twhoffma at student.matnat.uio.no
Sun Dec 4 16:06:22 PST 2005

> On Sunday 04 December 2005 12:56 pm, Torgeir Hoffmann wrote:

Hi again,

tried to rebuild the base once more, after syncing up with RELENG_6_0, and
as far as I can see it worked like a charm. However, I still can't boot
the system after building a new kernel. Even when booting the system with
"boot -s", the new kernel throws a page fault, and reboots after 15
seconds.

I tried to follow the other lead concerning ACPI, although I haven't had
time to search thoroughly through lists. I tried using " unset acpi_load "
before "boot -s", but it still produces the same result.

I'm starting suspect that it might have something to do with the nvidia,
as it is the last thing I see before the error occurs. I see:

<output>
nvidia0 //....some stuff I didn't catch in time - I assume hardware
details....
Warning: Device driver "
</output>
(page fault error similar to the one posted earlier) Also, I have no idea
why it produces a single double-dash ( " ).

>> > Did you copy the 6.0 GENERIC config file into the one your
>> > buildkernel
>> make uses?

> Probably GENERIC. I use the equivalent of
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=RUBY
> make installkernel KERNCONF=RUBY
> but I have then built into scripts.

yes, I've had most things I needed in GENERIC, and loaded modules for the
sound  - that's it.

> If you have a KERNCONF entry in /etc/make.conf, it uses that. If it was
your 5-stable config file, it used it.

> Everytime they do an upgrade, you need to check it. Options come and go.
I didn't have a make.conf entry with KERNCONF - so I can only assume that
it uses GENERIC, and further I'd assume that I'd use the one that came
with the source checkout. Afterall, the world and kernel compiled fine,
the kernel does not, however, seem to be happy to boot.

> If you haven't done an installworld, you shouldn't do anything but boot -s.
>
> You have to finish the install and then you can use the full boot.
Unfortunately, the bottleneck still persists - and I have a gut feeling
that I won't get anywhere booting the RELENG_5 kernel and installing the
base. I guess that'd would only make it more of a mess, than what'd I've
already made it...

> I have had kernels that
> would immediately panic and the boot to single user mode is to catch them.
>
> You have a new user called _dhcp that needs to be added to group and
master.passwd. Then, you have what seems like 100's of files that need
to be updated using mergemaster.

Thanks for the tip - I ran mergemaster -p before buildworld, and that
_dhcp user was added.

Thanks for all help so far.

Best Regards,

Torgeir Hoffmann