How often portupgrades?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Dec 3 15:57:58 PST 2005

On Saturday 03 December 2005 19:56, Joerg Pernfuss wrote:
> Everybody has to figure out that one for himself, so, here is my
> rule of thumb:
>
> 	Upgrade your ports only when you need to.
>
> If all installed ports work fine and a new version doesn't introduce
> some functionality you simply need to have, why update?
> Just for the sake of updateing?

No, because it's far less trouble to upgrade frequently than to  have to spend
time working out when you need to upgrade. Even Microsoft now sees that
running for long periods without updates, just because the applications work,
is a bad idea.

I have a script that synchronizes  my ports tree, tells me what ports are old,
and displays a diff comparing UPDATING to an older version.  A second script
runs portmanager with nice. How difficult is that?

Any reasonably new pc should be able to build in the background without
significant impact on desktop performance.