After Firefox upgrade, browser no longer prints without CUPS

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Fri Dec 2 15:43:58 PST 2005

Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Thu 1 Dec 05 22:35, Micah <micahjon at ywave.com> wrote:
>
>>Joshua Tinnin wrote:
>>
>>>What does Firefox use to recognize printers? Every other
>>>application recognizes and uses the generic UNIX lpd (with
>>>Ghostscript and hpdij), which is what Firefox used before I
>>>upgraded it to 1.5. Now it insists on using CUPS or PostScript.
>>>I've been Googling for two days and can't figure out how to get it
>>>back where it was.
>>>
>>>Have to say, I love FreeBSD, but printing is a serious hassle.
>>>Every time the smallest thing changes, it breaks and requires
>>>several days of maddening searching and tweaking to get it back the
>>>way it was. Am about to break down and get a print server, as this
>>>is way too much to deal with on a regular basis.
>>
>>Did you try printing using the "postscript/default" printer?  If that
>>is broken, the "properties" button on the print window should allow
>>you to specify lpd as the print command.
>

> Yes, I tried this, although lpd is the daemon, right? It's already
> running through lpd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, in any event. I used
> lpr. It tells me the paper size is not supported by the printer
> (8.5"x11"), which is definitely not true.
>
> - jt

You're right, I meant lpr.  And something is wrong with FireFox's
printer handling.  I used to have two printers setup in FireFox (and
Mozilla before), one for the default printer (lpr) and one for kprinter
(both are the same physical printer, just different frontends to it).
FireFox 1.5 added the cups printer and now FireFox seems to be having
trouble telling which printer is which.  Clicking on propterties for
PostScript/Default shows me the propterties for PostScript/kprinter, and
PostScript/kprinter's properties shows me PostScript/Default.  Odd.  The
settings in prefs.js look fine.

Later,
Micah