Gnome upgrade - screen lock no longer works

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:39:47 PST 2005

--On Friday, December 02, 2005 19:52:44 +0100 Hans Nieser
<h.nieser at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> I don't see anything in the FAQ about D-BUS.
>>
>> One other thing.  I now have two  Screensaver selections under
>> Desktop/Preferences.  One has the old icon (screen with the red fire in
>> front of it), and when I open that one, it says "The XScreenSaver daemon
>> doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0".  Launch it now?
>>
>> If I click on OK, it starts up and the screensaver works, but screenlock
>> still does not.
>
> The FAQ entry I was referring to is located at
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q25

More info.   I can lock the screen from the Screensaver menu, and I can
lock it from the commandline - xscreesaver-command -lock.  I just can't
lock it from the Gnome Desktop menu, and the screensaver daemon isn't being
started automatically at loging, although it starts fine manually.

I can probably figure it out from here after doing some reading.

Thanks for the info.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas