FREE OS

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Thu Dec 1 05:55:28 PST 2005

Marccorn2005 at aol.com wrote:
> hi FreeBSD,
>
>                 Hi  My Names Mr Marc Harry Charles Corn,
>                 I  am The CEO of _www.skyline2.co.uk_
> (http://www.skyline2.co.uk)  i am  e-mailing you on consern to your
>                 free  OS um i want to develop an OS aswell are you able to
> give me instructions on how  to start an OS or even join Forces to make an OS

Dear sir,

a good starting place would be to look at the files in /usr/src/sys/vm
on a FreeBSD source tree. Start, perhaps, with the function
vmspace_alloc() in vm_map.c. Once you have mastered this simple function
(it's only a dozen or so lines of code), you will understand what
function you need to call when you want to allocate a vmspace structure
(as it's name would no doubt lead you to conclude in the first place).

Study the rest of the functions in this file, as well as all the files
in this directory, how they fit together, and you'll be well on your way
to understanding how Virtual Memory works, a crucial component for a
modern operating system. From there, I think you will be ready to take
the leap and plunge into /usr/src/sys/kern. You can probably ignore the
other directories for a while.

> meny thanks from the Skyline2 Team

You're most welcome.

"It's overkill of course, but you can never have too much overkill."