Fax App Recommendations

Daniel jahilliya at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:21:54 GMT 2005

On 12/1/05, Robert H. Perry <rperry at gti.net> wrote:
> Daniel wrote:

> >>I was preparing to respond to a reply when Thunderbird sent the original
> >>to never-never-land.  Sorry.  Here's the problem I encountered.
> >>
> >>I was running the sendfax command to test my installation and received
> >>an unexpected error message.  I used the command taken from the
> >>sendfax man page as follows:
> >>
> >>"sendfax -n -d (destination fax#) /etc/passwd
> >>"sendfax: no files to send
> >>"usage:..."
> >>
> >>I reran it using the -x <debug> option and the message indicated:
> >

> > What version of hylafax was installed?
> hylafax-4.2.1_3
> >
> > Make sure you install gawk.
> gawk-3.1.1_1 installed
> >
> > The native awk binary in FBSD is nawk (not gawk) which caused me some
> > greif with hylafax scripts.
> >
> > So, update ports. Remove hylafax. Install gawk. Reinstall hylafax.
> Hope you noticed the second note sent last night.  This one was sent
> unfinished.  Also note that I have mgetty-1.1.33 installed.

I don't have mgetty installed, but I do have hylafax 4.2.1_1
installed, gawk 3.1.1_1, and some mime ports (mime-support and
metamail) to allow for sending electronic faxes via e-mail to people
in our company.

I issued the exact same sendfax command:
# sendfax -n -d 5551212 /etc/passwd

Of course changing 5551212 for one of my faxes and it sent fine.

When I started this course of action in setting up hylafax I had no
idea about faxes either.
I basically followed the instructions on
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.2

I skipped section 2.2.3 because hylafax was installed. I didn't
install mgetty either.

I added the line:
cuaa0   "/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty"      dialup  on  secure
Into /etc/ttys under serial consoles (location probably don't matter)
and then ran:
init q
to rescan the /etc/ttys file.

You also want to copy /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hylafax.sh.sample to
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hylafax.sh. This doesn't use rcng so you can just
run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hylafax.sh start which will/should fire up the
hylafax daemon.

You don't need to worry about the cronjobs (they're there for cleaning
up and can be delt with later).

So at this point, make sure you do init q and run the rc.d/hylafax.sh
start or just reboot.

Provided that you completed 2.2.4 (adding modems and configuring setup
in general) without any dramas at all from the howto you should be
able to run the sendfax command.

Are you also certain your modem is operating correctly? You could run
the bash shell and then type echo atdt089231414141414 > /dev/cuaa0 and
the modem should dial whatever number after atdt and you should either
hear it through the modem speaker, see it with the lites on the modem
or the phone should ring (if you put your phone number or mobile
number in).

You should also try using the basic default settings for adding new modems.

If you havn't removed hylafax and reinstalled (making sure that the
deinstall deleted everything) I'd do that now.

To make sure all files it creates are gone you could run:
pkg_info -L hylafax\* > hylafax-files

Then deinstall hylafax

Then: cat hylafax-files and see if any of the files listed still exist.

I hope this helps a bit more.