SSH times out - "Server unexpectedly closed network connection"

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Wed Aug 31 19:53:22 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:33:27PM -0400, Robert G. wrote:
> SSH doesn't appear to be working on my remote server. I can
> connect fine, and am prompted with "login as: " with Putty, but
> when I enter my username it sits and hangs there for about a
> minute before a message comes up that says "Server unexpectedly
> closed network connection". SSH was working fine this morning
> around 11am. I just got back and now it's hanging. The only
> changes to the /etc/ssh/sshd_config that I made were to add my one
> user account. I rebooted and it worked fine this morning, so I
> don't know what the problem is now as I haven't touched it.

> Any ideas?

Could be DNS-related.

    # grep -i DNS /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    UseDNS no

FreeBSD has UseDNS on by default; I had to turn it off. I was
experiencing a similar hang-for-a-while-then-die thing.

If that doesn't help, look at the output of ssh -vvv $REMOTE_HOST.

--

| jabber:..wcmaier at jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier at ml1.net |