mail malady - dns/postfix

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Aug 31 15:42:19 GMT 2005

Jerod Prothe wrote:
> Greetings all,
> On my network, we used to have some NT box acting as the mail exchanger
> and a faulty dns for our domain.  That box has nearly crumbled.  It's
> still active, but no longer accepting mail.  I set up a computer (called
> galley) with 5.4 and it is (supposedly) running authoritative dns for
> our domain, and is handling mail via postfix.  Since I changed the dns,
> I alerted our registrar, which was originally doing lookups for us.
> The problem is, now local citizens are trying to send mail to us, but
> they are getting bounce messages reporting that it couldn't talk to
> otto, the old NT box.

[config snipped]

> There may be more at stake here:  If this doesn't work well, then any
> credibility that I have with my employer concerning using open-source
> may be exhausted.  Any other conf's I should show?

At a glance (not thorough inspection) your config looked OK. Expire
time of 100 days seems a bit long.

When I nslookup MX for your domain, I get the addr of your new
server "galley", so no apparent problem there (although I see from a
follow-up post that some folks are getting MX = otto, and *that* is
your problem in a nutshell).

If otto is no longer providing any services to the outside world,
how about just indicating via DNS that otto is CNAME to galley?

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348