mail malady - dns/postfix

Jerod Prothe jprothe at usd217.org
Wed Aug 31 15:02:26 GMT 2005

Greetings all,
On my network, we used to have some NT box acting as the mail exchanger and a
faulty dns for our domain.  That box has nearly crumbled.  It's still active,
but no longer accepting mail.  I set up a computer (called galley) with 5.4 and
it is (supposedly) running authoritative dns for our domain, and is handling
mail via postfix.  Since I changed the dns, I alerted our registrar, which was
originally doing lookups for us.
The problem is, now local citizens are trying to send mail to us, but they are
getting bounce messages reporting that it couldn't talk to otto, the old NT box.

Here is my /etc/namedb/named.conf :

// $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.conf,v 1.15.2.3 2005/03/23 17:35:58 dougb Exp $
//

options {
         directory       "/etc/namedb";
         allow-query { any; };
         recursive-clients 15000;
         pid-file "/var/run/named/pid";
         forwarders {
                 209.42.72.2;
         };
};

zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost.rev";
};

/*
zone "domain.com" {
         type slave;
         file "s/domain.com/bak";
         masters {
                 192.169.1.1;
         };
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
         type slave;
         file "s/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.bak";
         masters {
                 192.168.1.1;
         };
};
*/

zone "usd217.org" {
         type master;
         file "db.usd217.org";
};

zone "72.42.209.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "usd217-reverse";
};

key "rndc-key" {
         algorithm hmac-md5;
         secret "VR7Bsxrqrrtf38pGNzog1A==";
};

controls {
         inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
         allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
};

And here is my /etc/namedb/<localzone>:
; Definition of zone usd217.org
$TTL 1d
usd217.org.     IN SOA  galley.usd217.org       techcoord.usd217.org.   (
                         2005082601 ; Serial (date, 2 digit version of day)
                         1d      ; refresh
                         1h      ; retry
                         100d    ; expire
                         1h )    ; negative cache entry

; name servers
                 IN NS   ns

; MX records
                 IN MX   50      galley.usd217.org.

ns              IN A    209.42.72.2

; Host
localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
galley          IN A    209.42.72.2
bess-proxy      IN A    209.42.72.247
otto            IN A    209.42.72.250

; nickname
www             IN CNAME        galley
ftp             IN CNAME        galley

There may be more at stake here:  If this doesn't work well, then any
credibility that I have with my employer concerning using open-source may be
exhausted.  Any other conf's I should show?

Thanks