FTP Permissions

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Aug 31 12:52:33 GMT 2005

Andreas Wideroe Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
hi there,

> I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 STABLE and the latest Proftpd. I have a little
> problem I need help with.
>
> I want about 10 users to have access to the same
> directory/subdirectories on the FTP server and all must be able to
> upload, delete and retrive (full access) to the files in these directories.
>
> I want all users to have different usernames/passwords so I can log
> them, but all should have full access to the ftp directories.
>
> How would I set this up?

not sure about proftp,sorry. But i'd guess point their home directories
to the one place (or add symlinks to this one place...or however you do
with proftpd).

Make a group, make yourself a member of the group. then set the sticky
bit on the folder + other subfolders (man chmod). you may have to modify
the umask (as seen by ProFTPd of course...maybe a proftpd setting,
guessing here) to make sure the files are mode 660

>I've tried making all members of the same
> group, but I can't overwrite/delete files other uploaded.

are you a member of the group?
what are the rights of the files?
what are the rights of the directory where the files are?

cheers,
Beto