rc.conf - setting interface UP without IP-address?

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Wed Aug 31 11:41:06 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:41:45PM +0300, Rein Kadastik wrote:
> Excuse me for a silly question, but what the hell is UP? I know, what is
> IP, I know how ifconfig works, but wtf is UP?

UP is the state of the interface. You can set an IF up/down to
enable/disable the IF. Current state of an interface can be seen with
ifconfig, e.g.

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                 ^^

Normally an interface is automatically taken up when you give it an
IP-address.

-ewald