GbE NICs besides em (recommendation wanted)

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Wed Aug 31 10:51:14 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 31. August 2005 10:51 CEST schrieb Dmitry Mityugov:
> On 8/31/05, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm quiet disappointed with the em nics and wanted to try some other
> > GigaBit NICs (1000baseTX only).
> > AFAIK there are re, sk, bge driven cards. Which doesn't saturate a
> > PIII at 800 at 200mbit/s with interrupt load (like em does)?
> > I heard that the re is way better than the not so well rl and although
> > much cheaper than em more efficient.
> > What about bge? Or sk? Any comments welcome, also if I missed a
> > supported family (TX only)
>
> I have a gigabit card managed by re and sk drivers at home IIRC
> (PIII at 866, 2xPIII at 1400). I can run some tests for you this weekend if
> you wish.

Thank you for the offer, but I thought people had some simple test results
in mind. If you next time use rdump or large NFS transfers to another GbE
connected (and fast enough) box just watch the system load (I use systat
-vm 1) and see what card causes what interrupt load. em cards can't
transfer (real files over FTP/NFS) more than 200mbit/s on a
Coppermine at 866, at this level the system load is 100% of which ~80% is
interrupt systemload :(

Thanks,

-Harry