VNC + SSH question..

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 31 01:24:49 GMT 2005

On Aug 31, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Eric Murphy wrote:

> Hey guys had a SSH forward question so here goes...
>

> I have 2 computers on my lan one of them is a server and the other
> is my desktop.
>
> Desktop 192.168.1.104
> Server 192.168.1.103
>
> Now I have port forwarding setup on my crappy linksys router so 22
> is pointing to my Server (192.168.1.103)
>
> My question is this...
>

> I would like to tightVNC to my Desktop (192.168.1.104) forwarding
> it through SSH.  Now from what I understand If my router was
> pointing to my desktop this would not be a problem at all.  All I
> would have to do is SSH to my IP while forwarding 22 to 5900.
> However I cant do it this way since 22 is pointing to my server.
> So I figured I would ssh into my server and issue a command such as
> ssh 192.168.1.103  -L22:192.168.1.104:5900 however once im in and I
> run vncview it obivoiusly can be displayed becuase Im not running X
> on the server.  Am I way off here? Is there a way to do this? Will
> I need to forward 22 on my router to the desktop as well as server?
> Is there a way to connect to my server thats not running X and some
> how vnc into my desktop?
>
> On the remote machines I'd be useing PuTTY for windows and SSH on
> Linux box's.  Prehaps someone can give me a step by step guide?
>

> Thanks.

To my knowledge TightVNC doesn't support access to X via the :0'th
display. That may be your problem and not your port forwarding setup,
because it appears-at least to me-that it is correct. So, try a
different display or if you want access via display :0 try x11vnc.
Note that it may be considered more of a security issue since it
would connect directly to your desktop's display.
-Garrett