trying to use ACLs

Jon Falconer jfalconer at puc.edu
Tue Aug 30 23:33:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-Release and trying to make use of the ACLs
feature. I've enabled it on the partition I'm using. I can set access ACLs
on a directory just fine, but whenever I try to set a default ACL, I get
the following:

%setfacl -dn -m g:PR:rwx test
setfacl: warning: no mask entry
setfacl: acl_set_file() failed for test: Invalid argument
%

The group PR does exist as I can change the group owner for test to PR. It
complains that there is no default mask. So I try:

%setfacl -d -m m::rwx test
setfacl: acl_set_file() failed for test: Invalid argument
%

I'm guessing that the default ACLs are what are assigned to any file
created inside the directory. Is this correct? If so, that is useful.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks,

Jon