making packages

Chris chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 21:29:34 GMT 2005

Hi

I'm just checking out how to make my own packages from ports. To see how
things work I  did ``make package'' in misc/bb. I get this:

[snip]
===>  Checking if misc/bb already installed
===>   bb-1.3.r1 is already installed
       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of misc/bb
       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

bb is indeed already installed.

Can I make a package without uninstalling the port? I'm not really
overwriting the old port so "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" doesn't seem
appropriate. Even if a port is not installed I don't want to install
anything, just make a binary that I can transfer to another computer and
install with pkg_add.

Are there better ways of making a package?

Thanks

Chris