Proliant 5000 sever Fbsd 5.4 (re)boot problem

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:15:05 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 12:05,  the author Robert Slade contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Proliant 5000 sever Fbsd 5.4 (re)boot problem:

>Hiya,
>
>I've been working on this beasty on and off for some time. It's a Quad
>processor 1 Gbyte of memory and 5 scsi drives using the 2p raid
>controller setup as 2 raid arrays + 1 spare.
>
>The machine works fine with 5.4 release #0 with the supplied generic
>kernel.
>
>The problem(s) I have been having are:
>
>1. When I recompiled the Kernel with SMP support, I get random reboots.
>It also fails to boot sometimes failing at the point after waiting for
>the scsi drives to settle. I get some error codes and Fbsd fails to find
>the boot device.
>
>2. I CVSuped to 5.4 release #2 and recompiled the Kernel with SMP
>support. This does to boot at all. It gets as far as the waiting 15s for
>scsi devices to settle, then (appears to) reset the scsi controller and
>immediately tries to access the drives (does not wait). I have tried
>recompiling with scsi_delay set to 30000 (30s) with no change.
>
>I have checked dmesg and message logs but there is nothing related to
>the problem(s) there.
>
>I have gone back to the 5.4 release #0 single processor kernel for now
>which is a shame as the machine is slow without the multi processor
>support.
>
>The only thing out of the ordinary I have noted is a tx underunn --
>increasing threshold to 512 bytes  message which appears related to
>running kde remotely via vncserver and tinync.
>
>Any ideas, I can send conf files etc if needed.
>
>Thanks
>
>Rob

What are your bios setting?
My guess is that you have not made the right setting using the siftware and
configuration utilities
david
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.