Disaster recovery ?

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:07:33 GMT 2005

Hi

I had a working FreeBSd 5.3 RELEASE server running postfix and zope until
last night. When I checked it in the morning, it had a bunch of "ad4 ...
UNRECOVERABLE ERROR" messages on it. Upon a reboot, it complains it cannot
find /boot/loader (error 16). Last week, it had shut down without any
apparent reason but came up upon reboot. Sounds like the hard disk is
fried. Its a new server (just 5 months old or so).

How do I recover what was on the partitions ?

Thanks.