Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Tue Aug 30 02:51:46 GMT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:38:41 -0500
Mark Kane <mark at mkproductions.org> wrote:
> Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:38:00 -0500
> > Mark Kane <mark at mkproductions.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Mark Kane wrote:
> >>I do notice that when doing some things like using unrar to extract
> >>a  file or loading a video into video encoding software I do get
> >>some of  the same little crackles and static in the audio. I didn't
> >>notice this  static/crackling ever before applying that first patch.
> >>I am still  skip/stutter free though :).
> >>
> >>Might the second patch help the crackling/static?
> >>

> > Perhaps. You should give it a try. There is another issue as well
> > (such as PCI latency timer), but only after you applied all those
> > suggested patches.
>
> Okay I applied the second patch. Still whenever unrarring a file or
> it's not bad at all.
>
> But the initial problem of the skipping and stuttering is fixed so I am
> very happy :).

PCI latency issue comes in mind (which pretty common within VIA universe).

http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/pcmutils/pcilattimer

Play around with its latency timer value (increase) and see whether
that could make things better.

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD