Which version and other updating questions

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:36:51 GMT 2005

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/Makefile That Makefile is for HEAD

> And UPDATING has  NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 7.x IS SLOW:.... But
> that's not helpful because it just tells me that I could inadvertently fetch
> 7.x stuff (which I probably just did since I have tag=.).

It tells you that you *did* fetch 7.x stuff

> uname -a reported 6.0-CURRENT (Gack current, doh *feint*).
>
> Here's what my cvsupme5 file looks like ---
> *default host=cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
> src-all
> ports-all
>

> Let me guess, since I'm using tag=. (Otherwise known as HEAD) it's going to
> get what ever is bleeding edge?

Yes.

> Should I change that to tag=RELENG_6 (In hopes that cvsup doesn't grab
> bleeding edge stuff)?

Yes and remove "ports-all", one supfile for ports and one supfile for
system, here is my systems supfile:
*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

And here is my ports supfile:
*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

The Ports system has no cvs branches, it is always HEAD.

You can also check here for FreeBSD branch tags:
http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html