mailman: 403: browser access forbidden.

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Mon Aug 29 18:18:17 GMT 2005

Tim Kellers wrote:

> On Monday 29 August 2005 01:20 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
>
>>	I first set up mailman (with its web automation) last
>>	December.  When I recently tried to send a test message
>>	to my list, mailman spitout the old "reset configure with
>>	daemon" gid. Which failed.  Eventually I reinstalled from
>>	scratch.  Now, using lynx and "www.thought.org/mainman"
>>	I'm getting:
>>

>>                                   Forbidden
>>
>>   You don't have permission to access /mailman/ on this server.
[snip]

> Does /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin have permissions that look like this?
>
> # ls -la /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
> total 200
> drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mailman    512 Apr 25 14:17 .
> drwxrwsr-x  20 mailman  mailman    512 Apr 25 14:16 ..
> -rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17730 Apr 25 14:17 admin
> -rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17734 Apr 25 14:17 admindb
>
> Tim

Even with correct permissions, I think you get 403 if you ask for
/mailman/ by itself, unless your Apache config allows automatic
directory indexing, which of course it ought not on cgi-bin stuff.

Try accessing some /mailman/<component>, e.g. /mailman/listinfo, and
not just /mailman/ by itself.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348