Users unable to select their own window manager in X.

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 29 16:09:47 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 05:35:18AM -0700, modelt20 at canada.com wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Last week, I did a CVSup on all ports, and then did a
> portupgrade over the weekend. The portupgrade completed
> successfully, without significant errors.
>
> Now, normal users are no longer able to set their own
> window manager (e.g. fvwm2) in X, but logging in as
> root, I can. The user's .xinitrc file has not changed
> recently, but when the user launches X, all they get is
> the grey hatched background with a black X for the
> mouse pointer. No windows (clock, mail, task panel,
> etc) appear. If I rename the user's .xinitrc file and
> then start X, the standard 'xterm' window manager

Check the ModulePath setting in ~/.fvwm2rc. This usually contains the
version number, so after an upgrade FVWM2 won't be albe to find its
modules.

For example, in my ~/.fvwm2rc I have:

ModulePath /usr/X11R6/libexec/fvwm/2.4.19/

If I were to upgrade to a newer version, I'd have to change this.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt