pkgdb usage guide

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Mon Aug 29 02:03:53 GMT 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 17:56,  the author Lowell Gilbert contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: pkgdb usage guide:

>Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
>> It would be most appreciated if someone who is familiar with the use
>> of pkgdb could either point to a user guide that tells one how & in
>> what circumstances to use the various interactive options offered by
>> this utility or maybe help to draft an faq on it.
>
>How about the following?
>
>     The pkgdb command is a tool to create or update the system
>     package database which is used by the portupgrade(1) tool suite.
>     It maintains a hash that maps an installed file to a package
>     name, a hash that maps a package to an origin, and a list of
>     installed packages.
>
>     pkg_which looks in the package database to tell which package
>     each specified file came from.  If the database is outdated but
>     pkg_info(1).
>
>     Actually, pkgdb and pkg_which are the same command, and are
>     equivalent.
>
>     The pkgdb command also works as an interactive tool for fixing
>     the pack- age registry database when -F is specified.  It helps
>     you resolve stale dependencies, unlink cyclic dependencies,
>     complete stale or missing origins and remove duplicates.  You
>     should run this command periodically so portupgrade(1) and other
>     pkg_* tools can work effectively and reliably.

Pretty good
How about the various interactive options - do you have time to add to it
guifance on how to answer the question if you use the -F option and the
utility finds stale dependencies?

That set of questions can be pretty daunting roe newbies and the way that the
manual is written can be challenging for old hands (like myself) with failing
memories!!!

Thanks again

When this is done I will put it on a website somewhere.. there is a serious
gap in all the FreeBSD documentation for this one.

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.