running more than one server with one IP address

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Aug 28 19:38:16 GMT 2005

On Aug 28, 2005, at 2:28 PM, David Banning wrote:

> Is it possible to run more than one server(machine) with one IP
> address? I have so many different server-applications running on my
> machine I
> would like to divide them up.
>
> Maybe using one machine email only, or use one for certain websites,
> and another for other websites. This would also allow me to take-down
> one machines for maintenance when necessary, or use one machine for
> more troubleshooting.
>
> Wondering if someone could even direct me to the terminology that I am
> looking for so I can google it.

The only way I know of doing this is if you have one externally visible
IP and you're trying to break up services among systems on the internal
network.  On your router, you'd use port forwarding to redirect
individual ports to each machine inside your network; i.e., tell the
router to forward port 25 to your SMTP server, port 80 to your internal
web server, and port 22 to your internal SSH server whenever requests
to those port hit IP WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ.

I would suppose you'd google for information about NAT and port
forwarding on routers.

If you try this with an internal system, you're probably going to run
into issues with ARP routing and collisions.  You'd have to place your
machines in their own VLAN and have one "internal IP" assigned to the
interface and still use some kind of redirection to the VLAN
servers...that's quite a bit of work for most setups, though.

You might be better off messing with your internal DNS so people can
just go to www.mynetwork.com or smtp.mynetwork.com and have your DNS
server hand out the proper IP of your server(s).