Konica Minolta 2430DL CUPS printing problem

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:19:57 GMT 2005

On 8/28/05, rod person <rodperson at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Has anyone been successful in get this printer to print using CUPS, or
> anything else for that matter.
>
> I've been trying to get it to work for over a month now.
>
> The closest I can get is to get the error "Loading Halftones Error..."
> when trying to print a test page from the cups web interface. This is
> with the driver supplied by Konica.
>
> The CUPS driver for linuxprinting.org doesn't do anything at all.
>
> I have debugging output set for the cups error log, but that doesn't
> result in anything worth while.
>
> Any help would be great!

We ("They", I had nothing to do with buying this printer, I openly
denounced it but they still bought it) have a Konica Minolta 5430DL
and no I can't get it to work, but I haven't tired very hard.
Personally I think it's a POS:

* Can't print to it if your on a different subnet, even if you have
router/gateway.
* When set to DHCP mode this thing always try's to steal are servers
IP address (192.168.1.2) at startup.
* No Postscript. (aka Windows only, I think it even has a design for
windows sticker on it).
* High maintenance costs, the projected costs I made over the useful
live of this printer is something like $32,000 dollars, I think it
might be higher because it goes through toner like a crack whore goes
through crack.
* No Duplex printing, it's an optional add on.
* Won't shrink pages, ie print two pages on one side of one sheet of paper.

On the plus side Konica Minolta's phone support is generally helpful,
quick, and not out sourced to India.