boot problem (stage 2 boot?)

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Sat Aug 27 21:50:34 GMT 2005

At 02:40 PM 8/27/2005, Sean wrote:
>Glenn Dawson wrote:

>>>I created the above partitions you listed manually and specified
>>>to my choice sizes, and i did choose 'a', or entire disk on creation.
>>
>>The "entire disk" option is in the screen that lest you create
>>slices, which is completely different from the screen that lets you
>>create your partitions. (a, b, d, e, f, etc)
>>Keep in mind that what is called a "partition" in other OS's is
>>called a slice in FreeBSD.
>>You mentioned above that FreeBSD was installed in partition
>>4.  Assuming that's slice 4, are the device names something like
>>/dev/ads4x. where the x is the partition.
>
>Through Fitit,
>fdisk shows partions 1,2,and 3 unused, and Freebsd sitting in 4.

Can you send the output that shows that?

>bsdlabel shows on /dev/ad0s1 the six partitions, a, b, c, d, e, f

/dev/ad0s1 is slice one. (partition 1 in the dos/windows world)

>Sysinstall, from the boot cd, shows the following
>disk name: ad0 and freebsd on ad0s1

That is exactly as it should be.

>disklabel shows
>ad0s1a, ad0s1d, ad0s1b, ad0s1e, ad0s1f, none of these partitions
>currently show a mount point, with the exception of b, which is swap.
>so now am even more puzzled by no mount showing.

disklabel output can't give you mount points.  Can you provide the
output from disklabel?  That would help in figuring out what's going on.

Here's a sample output from one of my systems:

# /dev/ad0s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a:   524288        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0
   b:  2045600   524288      swap
   c: 20964762        0    unused        0     0         # "raw"
part, don't edit
   d:   524288  2569888    4.2BSD        0     0     0
   e:   524288  3094176    4.2BSD        0     0     0
   f: 17346298  3618464    4.2BSD        0     0     0

-Glenn