boot problem (stage 2 boot?)

Sean rsh.lists at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 21:41:01 GMT 2005

Glenn Dawson wrote:
> At 02:13 PM 8/27/2005, Sean wrote:
>
>> Glenn Dawson wrote:

>>> How did you arrange the file systems when you installed.  Did you use
>>> the defaults, or your own layout?
>>> The defaults would have given you 5 partitions inside of the first
>>> slice.  For example:
>>> ad0s1a - /
>>> ad0s1b - swap
>>> ad0s1d - /var
>>> ad0s1e - /tmp
>>> ad0s1f - /usr
>>> Did you not use the 'a' partition for your root file system?  Second
>>> stage boot code only knows how to find third stage on the 'a' partition.
>>> More details on your installation would help in trying to figure out
>>> what the problem is.
>>> -Glenn

>> I created the above partitions you listed manually and specified to my
>> choice sizes, and i did choose 'a', or entire disk on creation.
>

> The "entire disk" option is in the screen that lest you create slices,
> which is completely different from the screen that lets you create your
> partitions. (a, b, d, e, f, etc)
>
> Keep in mind that what is called a "partition" in other OS's is called a
> slice in FreeBSD.
>
> You mentioned above that FreeBSD was installed in partition 4.  Assuming
> that's slice 4, are the device names something like /dev/ads4x. where
> the x is the partition.

Through Fitit,
fdisk shows partions 1,2,and 3 unused, and Freebsd sitting in 4.
bsdlabel shows on /dev/ad0s1 the six partitions, a, b, c, d, e, f

Sysinstall, from the boot cd, shows the following
disk name: ad0 and freebsd on ad0s1

disklabel shows
ad0s1a, ad0s1d, ad0s1b, ad0s1e, ad0s1f, none of these partitions
currently show a mount point, with the exception of b, which is swap.
so now am even more puzzled by no mount showing.