Boot loader won't start windows on other HD

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Sat Aug 27 20:31:28 GMT 2005

At 10:24 AM 8/27/2005, Barnaby Scott wrote:
>I know questions like this have been asked before, but I can't find a
>straight answer! Forgive me though if I have missed one.
>
>I have a Windows 2000 machine into which I wanted to put an extra hard
>disk to run FreeBSD. In my pre-installation reading, I noticed that
>FreeBSD offers a mechanism to boot alternative operating systems, so I
>opted to put the new FreeBSD disk as 0, and move the original Windows one
>to position 1.
>
>Installation went fine, and I opted to install with the bootloader, and
>sure enough, on startup I get a little menu saying:
>
>F1   FreeBSD
>F5   Disk 1
>
>If I press F1, FreeBSD boots as expected.
>
>However, if I press F5 (it seems I have to do this twice otherwise I get
>FreeBSD again), I get a prompt saying
>
>Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
>boot:
>
>Now what?
>
>It doesn't seem to matter what I put here, it won't make Windows start. Is
>there something particular I should enter? Have I missed something else?

The boot: prompt is the second stage of the FreeBSD boot
process.  There's no way to get it to boot windows as that point.

Additionally, moving the windows disk is likely to confuse the hell
out of windows.  Your best bet is probably to use the windows boot
manager, and have FreeBSD installed on the second disk.

For info on how to deal with the windows boot loader, go here:
http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337

-Glenn