Boot loader won't start windows on other HD

Barnaby Scott bds at waywood.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 17:24:18 GMT 2005

I know questions like this have been asked before, but I can't find a
straight answer! Forgive me though if I have missed one.

I have a Windows 2000 machine into which I wanted to put an extra hard
disk to run FreeBSD. In my pre-installation reading, I noticed that
FreeBSD offers a mechanism to boot alternative operating systems, so I
opted to put the new FreeBSD disk as 0, and move the original Windows one
to position 1.

Installation went fine, and I opted to install with the bootloader, and
sure enough, on startup I get a little menu saying:

F1   FreeBSD
F5   Disk 1

If I press F1, FreeBSD boots as expected.

However, if I press F5 (it seems I have to do this twice otherwise I get
FreeBSD again), I get a prompt saying

Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

Now what?

It doesn't seem to matter what I put here, it won't make Windows start. Is
there something particular I should enter? Have I missed something else?

Please, if you reply, go easy with me - there is a strong chance I won't
understand! If you want to suggest that I copy something to somewhere for
instance, or install something, *please* spell out in words of one
syllable
how. I dont' want to be spoon-fed for ever, but I haven't even got off the
initial prompt after login yet!!

Thanks