Why would mountd die?

Tuc at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Aug 26 19:30:33 GMT 2005

> Tuc at Beach House wrote:
> > 	We are having a problem on a 5.4 NFS server where at times
> > mountd seems to be just "disappearing". Is there a good way to track
> > that this happens, or to find out what causes it to die?
>
> DJB's daemontools come to mind, also Big Brother (www.bb4.org) can monitor a
> system, keeping track of the running processes, and yell (ie, email you, page
> you, etc) if something bad happens.

	Ok, thanks.

> The first step is to look for log messages (see mountd's "-d" flag),

	:-/ Logs to sysout, so can't be run from the /etc/rc.d/mountd. Was
hoping to have it log to syslog. I guess I could wrap a shell around it.

> and to
> unlimit coredumpsize (see /etc/login.conf and the shell environment) and see
> whether you can get a coredump for gdb.

	If its run as root, isn't coredumpsize already unlimited?

> It'll help to rebuild mountd with -g for debugging purposes...

	If I can get it to do the core, might be the best idea.

	I decided to run it in a screen to see if I can see maybe something
that way. If it gives a clue, maybe won't have to increase coredumpsize
and compile with debug for gdb.

		Thanks, Tuc