Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Fri Aug 26 19:08:10 GMT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:14:35 -0500
Mark Kane <mark at mkproductions.org> wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> >SCHED_4BSD. >
> >>Hmm, I'm using just a GENERIC kernel with support added in for my
> >sound  >driver and atapicam for K3b. SCHED_4BSD looks default in
> >GENERIC: >
> >>options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
> >>
> >>I've been trying this morning with no real disk I/O and just XMMS
> >open.  >It's much better than if I did have a download/upload going
> >using disk  >I/O or trying to read from a file on the drive, but
> >still nowhere near  >perfect. Every minute I'll still hear a little
> >skip or stutter in the  >audio, and still notice the mouse locking
> >up a bit at the exact moment  >that happens.
> >

> > Did you not read my mail?  I explained this and the solution.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Yes, I read your email and responded to it yesterday. I said:
>
> -------------------------
> I found the sound skipping thread by Jeff. Looks like a great
> explanation, however my problem even occurs even with light disk I/O
>
> such as reading an mp3/Ogg/video file off any of the drives. I did
> some  more testing with actual files off the drives last night
> instead of  streams, and it seems worse with actual files.
>
> I'm not sure if the proposed patch will fix it or not, and trying
> 6.0-BETA2 for my other hardware/hard drive problem just introduced
> new  problems (panics, network stuff not recognized, etc). I do have
> a spare  hard drive where I could put test anything though if you
> think trying  -CURRENT or another BETA would be worthwhile.
> -------------------------
>
> So, in other words, even when there is NOT heavy disk I/O it still
> has  problems, although they do get worse with more disk I/O. I
> don't know if  you saw my previous replies, but trying 5.4-STABLE on
> my Athlon XP 2000+  instead of 5.4-RELEASE seemed to make it much
> better on that machine  (however still not perfect).
>
> I was wondering if the code that fixed it in 6 was merged to
> 5-STABLE or  if the patch was already committed to 5-STABLE? I
> haven't tried -STABLE  on my amd64 yet though.

I've been following this thread, yet I still don't know what is your
soundcard. To tell you the truth, much of these issues relies heavily
on your spesific sound driver, whether it has been freed from Giant or
not. At least:

1) What is your soundcard?
2) What type of scheduler you use? (I can see that is SCHED_4BSD)
3) Is PREEMPTION enabled?

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD