cvsup for sourceforge & other similar sites.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Aug 25 23:34:24 GMT 2005

On 2005-08-25 15:40, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
> I am wanting to cvs automatically - but I seem to fail to get into
> sourceforge (either command line or using cron) -- by using cvsup on
> the ports tree I have become lazy and confused by the cvs manual!! (I
> do wish freebsd manuals had more detailed examples!!). I used to do
> this stuff regularly (longer ago than I care to admit) - but it takes
> time to get back into it!

I'll try to help, but there are good references at the home page of CVS too :)

> Here are a few of of my tries (as root):

Not a good idea.  You don't need superuser rights to check out stuff
from a remote repository.

> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
> CVS password:
> cvs login: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory
>
> /* Seemed to call for a .cvspass file..
>   Cant find a way to give a password  interactively so I had better create a
> file..*/
>
> /* So I create a .cvspass with a blank line
>  -- (Sourceforge demands a blank) */

Simply running:

	dns1# touch ~/.cvspass

should do it.

> dns1# cp /usr/home/Sysadmin/.cvspass /root/
> dns1# chown root /root/.cvspass
>
> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
> CVS password:
> cvs login: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at line 1
>
> /* Which was treated as invalid! */

It seems the CVSROOT/passwd file of the remote repository is corrupt.

> dns1# pwd
> /usr/home/Sysadmin/cvs
>
> dns1# ls -l
> total 0
>
> /* Try again adding '.' after eclipseexul */
> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul. login
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul.
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.sf.net: M -!- Client or Server timeout occurred!
>
> /*I just seem to get errors from cvs! I guess I need to find out what I am
> doing wrong*/

Sourceforge problems, as far as I can tell.