cvsup for sourceforge & other similar sites.

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Aug 25 22:44:42 GMT 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 13:06,  the author Giorgos Keramidas contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: cvsup for sourceforge & other similar sites.:

>On 2005-08-25 12:43, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone has a successful working example of a freebsd 5.3
>> cvsup file for a site such as sourceforge? If so could you be kind
>> enuf to email me a copy.
>>
>> I have tried a number of alternatives and failed miserably!
>
>I don't think that's quite possible, unless Sourceforge itself set up a
> CVSup server network.  "CVSup" is a very different beast from the CVS
> "server modes".

ooooooooooooooops

I am wanting to  cvs automatically - but I seem to fail to get into
sourceforge (either command line or using cron) -- by using cvsup on the
ports tree I have become lazy and confused by the cvs manual!! (I do wish
freebsd manuals had more detailed examples!!). I used to do this stuff
regularly (longer ago than I care to admit) - but it takes time to get back
into it!
Here are a few of of my tries (as root):

dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
CVS password:
cvs login: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such file or
directory

/* Seemed to call for a .cvspass file..
  Cant find a way to give a password  interactively so I had better create a
file..*/

/* So I create a .cvspass with a blank line
 -- (Sourceforge demands a blank) */

dns1# cp /usr/home/Sysadmin/.cvspass /root/
dns1# chown root /root/.cvspass

dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
CVS password:
cvs login: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at line 1

/* Which was treated as invalid! */

dns1# pwd
/usr/home/Sysadmin/cvs

dns1# ls -l
total 0

/* Try again adding '.' after eclipseexul */
dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul. login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul.
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.sf.net: M -!- Client
or Server timeout occurred!

/*I just seem to get errors from cvs! I guess I need to find out what I am
doing wrong*/

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.