Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 25 20:08:46 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:39:25PM -0500, Mark Kane wrote:

> Wow, that would be really nice. I notice whenever I compress something
> like a backup of my Thunderbird Inbox files (several hundred megs) in
> bzip2 format it goes nowhere near 100% or even 90% CPU usage. The
> problems I am talking about occur even when CPU usage is real low as
> well. :-\

Hmm, if bzip2 can't saturate the CPU, I would say it's probably waiting
for disk reads/writes.

> >The file is the most usual way to partition code. How else would you
> >know where to look?
>
> True. I meant I wouldn't know what files to look at since I don't know
> really anything about programming or how things are done internally. I'm
> kind of used to the subversion approach of revisions for everything
> instead of file by file. Then it would have one log showing all the
> changes of that revision all in one place. I see how the other way makes
> sense though.

FreeBSD uses CVS, which can also produce such a logfile. But I think
that you would have to install the complete CVS repository to generate
such a changelog. Besides, if you are not a programmer, would the
checkin comments really mean anything to you?

<snip>
>    29  ??  WL     1:35.00 [irq19: skc0 atapci2]

It looks like one of your disk controllers is sharing an interrupt with
another device (network card? can't find a skc device, only sk). That
might have something to do with your problem. Try disabling that device,
and see if your troubles disappear. If so, you could try to add
a device hint to have the skc device use another free interrupt
line. See device.hints(5).

Roland

--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.