Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 25 17:38:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:21:41AM -0500, Mark Kane wrote:
> >/boot/device.hints:
> >
> ># Larger DMA buffer for the soundcard, for better sound quality.
> >hint.pcm.0.buffersize="16384"
>
> Hey Roland. Yeah, back when I was looking into amd64 vs i386 version and
> had a thread going that you replied to, I checked out your website and
> saw your FreeBSD settings. :)
>
> I tried that device.hints setting on my backup Athlon XP 2000+ machine
> with just onboard sound and that seemed to make it worse. Maybe because
> it was crummy onboard. This machine runs an Audigy 2 Platinum.
>
> If it was just the sound doing this and not the mouse and display
> freezing as well as any video playing then I think it would be much
> easier to troubleshoot and pinpoint.
>
> I could try -STABLE on that spare hard drive though.

Another thing to look at might be the scheduler. I'm using SCHED_4BSD.

> P.S. On an unrelated note, is there any "changelog" or anything for
> -STABLE to see what changes have been made?

Hmm. /usr/src/UPDATING is one source of information. If you want to look
at the change history of individual files, check out the CVS web
interface: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.