Pine alternative?

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Thu Aug 25 16:26:27 GMT 2005

> We have been using pine for years on our Sun Solaris box.  We are in the
> process of moving to FreeBSD.  I installed Pine from an updated ports
> collection and received a message about pine not being very secure.  Is
> anyone using an alternative to pine that can also read pine's folders and
> addresses?  I need it to be compatible as we still have many users with lots
> of data in pine.

Could be wrong, but my understanding was that any issues with Pine weren't
an issue if your users had shell access in the first place.  That is, one
of the problems was if you drop your users right into pine (or via some
restricted shell) it's possible for them to drop into a sub shell, etc.
from within pine.

Could be wrong though.