Performance Issues with AMD64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 25 16:09:16 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 10:16:51PM -0500, Mark Kane wrote:

> The issue I'm having is that every minute or two, I will hear some
> stuttering in any audio/video playback (will see the video freeze if
> video), and my mouse will freeze for a few seconds as well while this
> happens. It seems to happen more frequently if I have something doing
> disk I/O, such as downloads running, untarring files, or torrents. Right
> now, I have the following applications open:

My amd64 machine does not have this problem. I'm running 5.4-STABLE:

FreeBSD slackbox.xs4all.nl 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Wed Aug 10
20:25:45 CEST 2005 rsmith at slackbox.xs4all.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RFS amd64

One thing I did do was enlarge the soundcard's DMA buffer in
/boot/device.hints:

# Larger DMA buffer for the soundcard, for better sound quality.
hint.pcm.0.buffersize="16384"

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.