How do I get packages with tgz files

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Aug 24 22:38:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:32:36AM -0700, Bharma wrote:
> Am sorry for the typos. The problem is actually this.
> The KDE packages available right now are tbz files.
> However, pkg_add on FreeBSD 4.2.8 understands only tgz
> files. I earlier wrote that I was trying to install
> tgz files though I meant that I was trying to install
> tbz files.
> So the question is how to I get tgz files?

1) You're looking in the wrong place if you're seeing .tbz packages,
because 4.x still uses .tgz packages.

but

2) There is no such thing as FreeBSD 4.2.8.  Perhaps you mean 4.2 or
4.8.  Either way, you'll need to look in the correct location on the
FTP sites for these packages (e.g. packages-4.8-release/), but since
both releases are quite old you might have trouble still finding them
on the mirror sites.  Check http://mirrorlist.freebsd.org/

Kris