OT

slack _usr slack.usr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:59:08 GMT 2005

Hi,

There is a little offtopic, but, everything should be the same like in FreeBSD.

First of all, I'm sorry for such stupid question. I know, that I need
few details, but I can't figure out what are they. I'm plaing with
Intel(r) PRO/Wireless2200BG wifi card and it's configuration. I have
found different descriptions for the /etc/dhclient.conf file. I have
read "iwi" manual.  There are different options (or maybe only
different same option names). I'm newbie in a wifi networks. But in
the other system, machine with windows and netstumbller I found these
wifi networks settings:

SSID: sessionid
Network Authentification: Open
Data Encryption: Wep
Network key: 1011121311 (0x1011121311)

There sessionid is changed only for anonimity purposes.

I need to use dhcp. Now I'm trying to use such /etc/dhclient.conf
configuration:

initial-interval 1;
send host-name "thinkpad";
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name,
domain-name-servers, host-name;
interface "iwi0" {
media "ssid sessionid wepkey 0x1011121311";
}

And when I try to use:
#dhclient iwi0 I get following errors:
Trying medium "ssid sessionid wepkey 0x1011121311" 1
DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
send_packet: Network is down

I get this in a cycle with different intervals (" 255.255.255.255 port
67 interval 2", " 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3",  "
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7").

What are the differences between "wepkey" and "nwkey" mentioned in iwi
driver developer page
(http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/ipw-openbsd.html).
And in the same page there are good description, but only for static
configurations. So if I 've understood everything correctly, I need to
use /etc/dhclient.conf file for configuration. But I stuck there.
Please, give me any advice or a link.

Thanks for your patient, and sorry for me english.

Regards,
--
Slack is GOOD. BSD is better.